Game of Thrones Winter is Coming, the highly impressive strategy game based on the world-conquering HBO show, has arrived for duty on R2Games.
Officially licensed by Warner Bros, Game of Thrones Winter is Coming is everything you’d hope for in a Game of Thrones game. It sees you expanding and customizing a castle while exploring Westeros in all its bloody glory.
There are over 300 different terrain types, reflecting the different regions to be found across the seven kingdoms, and a number of weather types. It’s like being there, but without the constant threat of humiliating impalement.
Just like a real Game of Thrones character, your ultimate aim is to sit on the Iron Throne and rule over all of Westeros. But this is a high stakes pursuit, with winning and dying famously the only available outcomes.
There are 10,000 other players in Westeros with you, all vying for the top spot, and a number of commanders drawn from the show, such as Jon Snow, Daenerys Targaryen, Jaime Lannister, Arya Stark, and many more besides.
And the global browser game publisher R2Games offers up the perfect platform. Here are five reasons why you need to open up a browser window and get playing right now.
1. The Wedding Update is here, and R2Games is at the top table. The game’s latest major content update adds a whole new wedding system, which lets players marry someone from the same kingdom or remain single.
Given the way that weddings tend to turn out in Game of Thrones, you could be forgiven for choosing to go it alone, but it’s nice to have the option.
Getting married in Game of Thrones Winter is Coming takes around 30 minutes, but once the nuptials are complete you and your virtual spouse will get to unlock exclusive skills. These include a truce of hours for your partner’s city, a speed increase when it comes to sending reinforcements as well as resources to your partner, and a health boost when your partner joins a rally initiated by yourself.
You can choose to be one of the Night’s Watch and remain unmarried of course. Naturally only unmarried players can activate Single status – and can then exchange Single Signet Ring to activate Single status.
2. R2Games rewards you for playing. For every hour that you spend playing games on the platform, you’ll earn XP, and Game of Thrones Winter is Coming is no exception. Earning XP levels up your account, and as you graduate from level to level you’ll be able to claim free gift packs.
These contain in-game items for a variety of titles across the R2Games portfolio. Different packs are available at different levels, and at the highest level, you can claim them all.
Did we mention that you get all this just for playing games? Check out this feature by clicking here.
3. R2Games is cross-platform. That means you can play Game of Thrones Winter is Coming on R2Games while a friend – or a bitter enemy – plays on an alternative platform like GTArcade, 101XP, Esprit, or whatever.
The joy of this functionality is not only that you don’t have to encourage your friends to abandon their platforms of choice to join you in Westeros, but also that the game comes with a massive number of online players, swords sharpened and ready to rock, thanks to this healthy cross-platform approach.
4. You can play anywhere. The beauty of browser games like Game of Thrones Winter is Coming on R2Games is that you can play them wherever there’s a PC.
That means you can indulge in a spot of bloody conquest on your computer at home, then go into work and form an uneasy alliance at your office PC, before finally clocking off and getting married in an internet cafe on the way home.
5. Game of Thrones Winter is Coming is awesome. It’s time to face facts: Game of Thrones the TV show is over. But Westeros is still there, as are Arya, Jaime, Jon, and all your favorite heroes, antiheroes, and villains. And they’re all waiting for you to roll up your sleeves and start getting medieval.
To play Game of Thrones Winter is Coming for free right now just head to R2Games and install the client.